Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ain't No Sunshine: Kindle Book of the Day 5/23

Taking on a number of tough topics relating to physical abuse and racism, author Leslie DuBois's impressive novel Ain't No Sunshine is one of those books that exposes what things were really like only a few decades ago. Stephen, a white man, finds an escape from his rough family situation in Ruthie, who just happens to be black. Their love stands in direct opposition to the law though. Surprises and twists make this a satisfying read that will make an indelible impression on your memory.

Name: Ain't No Sunshine
Rating: 4.4 stars over 149 reviews
Price: 2.99
Description: This book tackles difficult subjects. The views and decisions of the characters do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author.

Though it is against the law in 1960s Virginia, Stephen Phillips wants to marry his colored neighbor, Ruthie. Growing up in a physically abusive home, his love for Ruthie was the only thing that helped him survive. Instead of giving in to social and family prejudice, Stephen decides to fight for love. And it’s a fight that could lead to murder. Racism and revenge darken this psychological drama set against the backdrop of the segregated South.

Reviews: "This one left me reeling... It has a lot in its favor. First of all, even though the narrator is male, I loved his voice. I loved the way he showed his story, not told it. He drew me in, had my sympathizing, and wondering what was going to happen to him next. Second, I could not for the life of me figure out what was going to happen. Just when I thought I had the entire story figured out... it went a totally different path. Family secrets are revealed and they are shocking... and Stephen and Ruthie end up on the run. Are they able to be together? Are they arrested? I'm not saying."

Get your copy of Ain't No Sunshine now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.