Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Free Kindle Fire Apps and Books 4/17

Starting off with a little bit of news, the word is that Amazon is currently testing a Frontlit E-ink screen for its forthcoming Kindle models (speculated image below). According to someone's who's seen the device, touching the screen allows a bar to appear that easily adjust the strength of the glow. No word yet on when this or the expected Kindle Fire 2 will be coming, but make sure you're signed up for our Kindle Announcements Newsletter to find out when you can get your hands on one!


Though everything is free at the time of this posting, that can change at any time. Make sure you check the price before you purchase!

CandySwipe - Games                                      Code Blue - Romantic Suspense
4.3 stars over 98 reviews                                       3.4 stars over 86 reviews
                     

Horoscopes - Astrology                            First Taste of Enlightenment - Spiritual
4.6 stars over 24 reviews                                           4.8 stars over 11 reviews
                      

Car Chaos Free - Games                                         Letting Go - Short Stories
3.4 stars over 36 reviews                                           5.0 stars over 4 reviews
                     

4 comments:

  1. The one thing that stopped me from getting a Kindle over the years was the lack of an illuminated screen. When the Fire arrived, I picked it up immediately, though. I'd be interested in something like this new Kindle that's illuminated - it's a good plan for their next product.

    I'd love to see a Kindle Fire 2, but I feel like it's a little soon (that could be me not wanting my Fire to be out of date already :) ). I enjoy the Fire being (with a case) about the size of a small hardback book, but I would love to see something thinner/lighter for the Fire 2. The current Fire is a bit on the heavy side for lengthy holding in one hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, and it is nice to see the technology evolving so there are more possibilities with the e-ink screens. For those who want something that's strictly a reader, this could be great...and let's not forget that color e-ink may be in the mix as well.

      As for the Fire 2, a lot of it does come down to how the features differ from the first one. You're right that lighter would be better, but there are also some extras we'd like to see, more space or a micro SD card. I doubt Amazon will come out with anything that costs more than $250 here, because that seems to be the lowest BN and Samsung can get to.

      Delete
    2. Additional features will be great on the Fire. I know they try to keep it within a particular price range, and I am glad for that.

      Storage expansion would be amazing! I have to stream my music on my Fire (or take a small playlist with me) from my Amazon MP3 and Google Music accounts, and having the ability to use an SD card or something would be great when I want to take my music with me, and won't be near WiFi.

      I'd like to see a camera and a microphone, even more so than storage. If they were to add Bluetooth or something which would enable an external keyboard, I would be in heaven as well. Yeah, I know these are features that would likely push the device over the current cost, but I think it might sell, even if it were a little more costly. A "Kindle Fire Pro" model, so to speak.

      A friend of mine is hoping it will have the free 3G like the Kindle 3G models, but due to the capabilities of the Kindle Fire, I don't see that happening for free. Perhaps as a subscription option, but I think that is asking a bit much on the Fire.

      Delete
    3. John, if you're looking for more storage space for the Fire in case you're away from Wi-Fi, the Kingston Wi-Drive is absolutely the answer. It broadcasts its own signal, can be used with multiple devices, and can add 32 or 16GB of space. Plus it's over 50% off.

      Any kind of 3G would most certainly require a phone contract. Mi-Fi cards are usually the same as what you would pay if the Fire had 3G itself, but it's possible a Fire Pro would be beefed up in these areas. A camera would be nice, and for a few of these extras I'm sure Amazon would make a killing if they could put it out for $249 or at most $299.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.