Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tips and Tricks: Screen Protectors and the Kindle Fire

When it comes to the Kindle Fire, people know that there are a lot of great accessories available to them. There are covers, skins, and sleeves that can help you customize how your Fire looks and help you protect it. But people often overlook the screen, which is really the most vulnerable part of the device. Today we're going to be looking at screen protectors and how they can help keep your device in good condition as well as cut down in glare and smudges. To get an idea of what these things can do, check out this short video.
Even if you aren't planning on taking any heavy artillery to your Fire, having a screen protector like this (the XO isn't made for the Fire yet) can be a good idea for a number of reasons. In case of accidents or scratches, the screen will be safe, and you're also likely to have a better experience with viewing the screen. And, no, a protector won't diminish the touchscreen if applied correctly. So let's look at what's available for the Fire.

There are two main options, the Skinomi TechSkin and the HHI Screen Protector. At the moment both are discounted down to a third of their normal price, but because the Skinomi offers lifetime replacements and has many more strong reviews, that one would be our first choice.
Name: Skinomi TechSkin
Price: $16.95 6.89
Description: This kit includes: Skinomi Film for your device, installation squeegee, application solution, detailed instructions, and Lifetime Replacements program. 

Skinomi TechSkin goes beyond traditional screen protectors, skins, covers, and cases. This protector is made from clear thermoplastic urethane Film - the same Film used to protect military aircrafts and NASA space shuttles. It has the ability to resist high levels of abrasion, making it the ultimate protector for gadgets and devices. The Film "scratch-proofs" your device without adding bulk like traditional cases. Skinomi TechSkin is designed to provide lifetime protection for your device. If the Film ever wears or scratches, Skinomi will replace it under the Lifetime Replacements Program, for as long as you need it for your device. If you ever need to remove the TechSkin, it peels off easily leaving no residues unlike other screen protectors or skins.


Now applying the screen protector to the Fire is kind of a fun and interesting process. It involves moistening your hands and the film with a liquid solution, setting it onto the device, and the ironing out any excess liquid with a little squeegee. It might sound complicated, but there's a great video here that'll walk you through every step of the process. (Same procedure even though the video is for an iPhone.)
Fortunately, there is no real danger of messing up because the protector can be removed at any time. It's not like you're gluing it on or anything. And then once you've got it on, you really don't have to worry about it anymore. You just get to enjoy a little better usability and some extra peace of mind.


Lastly, I was searching around for any apps related to the screen, and I found this free one that makes it look like your screen is cracked. It's perfect if you want to play a gag on your friends. Get it here: Crack Your Screen.

Check back in with us later for more practically free apps!

10 comments:

  1. Love your blog! I found some 10 cent apps already today. Where's My Water (game) and Sketchbook Mobile (drawing) I was waiting for Where's My Water to have a sale and it is a lot of fun. I already bought Sketchbook Mobile and I am waiting for my stylus to get here. I need more practice with the drawing apps. I majored in graphic design and fine art so I knew I needed some art apps. Drawing pad is fun too and was a free app of the day. Keep up the good work. I love the Kindle Fire group on Goodreads too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, awesomevegan. Glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, I'm writing up the new apps now. Where's My Water? really is a great one!

    http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Wheres-My-Water/dp/B006D1ONE4/?tag=fireapps-20

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question about the screen protector, I bought one by marware but it is not the clear one and it got really bad reviews. I am thinking of buying this one instead but it asks you to take out the battery. I don't think you can do that on a kindle fire, can you? Is it necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, I don't think you'll need to take out the battery to do it with the Fire (and I don't think you can). The Skinomi screen protector will also have specific directions for the Fire that'll let you know what you have to do. It shouldn't be difficult. Thanks for your question!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I love the fire by the way. I was so happy when Amazon announced they were coming out with a tablet. I was tempted to get the Ipad but did not think it was worth spending $500 for. So glad I didn't do it. The fire does all that I wanted the Ipad for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear it, Barbara! Yes, the savings is huge, and the value of the Fire is tremendous. Thanks for letting us know how happy you are with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally installed the skinomi screen protector yesterday. True enough you had to wait for a few hours before the screen starts clearing up. There are still some air bubbles (not huge, but not micro either) trapped under the skin that I hope will disappear by tomorrow... but otherwise the screen feels good, looks transparent as promised, and hopefully won't get as many fingerprints!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it works out well for you, Ruthless! I would definitely try to squeegee those air bubbles out. I'm really not sure if they'll go anywhere on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my skinomi!!! It works just liked they said, it took more than a few days for the extra bubbles to disappear more like a week or more but they are all finally all gone! So I guess patience is the key here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad it worked out for you, eyelet4u2. Thanks for letting us know! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.